Rice Krispie treats are a great snack, and they are easy to make at home, but they only last a few days at room temperature after they are made. However, sometimes you can freeze food to make it last longer. So, can you freeze Rice Krispie treats?
Rice Krispie treats freeze very well and will stay fresh for up to six weeks if properly stored. To prepare Rice Krispie treats for freezing, you can wrap them individually and pull them out of the freezer when you’re ready to eat them or they can be frozen in a single container to thaw at once.
This article explains the benefits of freezing Rice Krispie treats and how to freeze and store them properly, so they stay fresh in the freezer. I also have some helpful suggestions for products that you can use to store your Rice Krispies treats in the freezer.
Benefits of Freezing Rice Krispie Treats
Before we get into the actual process of freezing these yummy snacks, I’ll explain a few of the benefits of freezing Rice Krispie treats.
- They last longer. Sometimes you make more Rice Krispie treats in one batch than you can eat in a few days before they go bad. However, if you freeze them, they will last longer, and you will not have to waste any.
- They thaw out quickly. Once you are ready to eat them, Rice Krispie treats thaw out quickly. So, even though frozen, you do not have to plan ahead when you want to have them as a snack since they can thaw in 15 minutes or less.
- Rice Krispie treats last a long time in the freezer. If you make them fresh but fail to freeze them, they will only remain good for a few days before they start to harden and taste not as good. However, if you freeze and store them properly, they can last for for weeks.
Frozen Rice Krispie treats can last for up to six weeks in the freezer without losing too much moisture or flavor. Nevertheless, you can still safely consume frozen Rice Krispie treats for up to six months after freezing them. However, they might contain less flavor or be a little harder than if you ate them sooner.
How To Freeze Rice Krispie Treats
You have a few options when it comes to freezing Rice Krispie treats. Some methods are better than others for individually wrapped portions. Still, others are great if you plan to serve and eat the Rice Krispie treats as soon as they come out of the freezer.
Individually Wrapped Rice Krispie Treats
If you plan to freeze your Rice Krispies treats and eat one or a few at a time, you should individually wrap them. This way, you can pull out only what you need and let them thaw. The rest can remain in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.
There are a few ways to individually wrap Rice Krispie treats before placing them in the freezer. You can:
- Wrap them up in aluminum foil — you only need to make sure they are sealed and wrapped tightly; otherwise, they will not last as long.
- Place them in smaller individual ziplock freezer baggies.
- Wrap them individually and freeze them in small sealed plastic containers — make sure the containers are small enough and don’t contain too much air which can make the Rice Krispie treats not last as long.
The Ziploc Freezer Bags Pint-size (Amazon) are great for storing Rice Krispie treats in the freezer. The bags have a FreezeGuard seal that prevents air from getting at them while frozen. And the pack comes with 80 bags which is perfect for storing and freezing a few batches of homemade rice crispy treats.
Other than plastic bags, using reusable containers is another great way to store your Rice Krispie treats in the freezer if you want to save money and not waste your containers.
Rice Krispie Treats in a Single Container
Wrapping each Rice Krispie treat individually can take a lot of time. This is especially so if you do not need them individually wrapped and are serving them all once they come out of the freezer. In this case, you can put them all into a large Ziploc bag or a sealed container that will keep them fresh in the freezer.
That said, if you do not want to take the time to wrap them but still want to eat the Rice Krispie treats individually, you can put them into a container. Then, place a piece of wax paper between each layer, so they do not stick together. Thus, you can just grab the few you need, let them thaw, and proceed to eat them.
If you use a big plastic container or bag to store your Rice Krispie treats when freezing them, make sure to use a proper-sized one. You want to use a container or bag that does not have too much extra space after all the treats are put in it. This is because too much extra space will be filled with air and will make the Rice Krispies treats dry out faster and possibly get freezer burn.
The Zilpoo Food Storage Containers (Amazon) are perfect for storing an entire batch of Rice Krispie treats in the freezer in a single container. The lid seals on tight so no air will get into the container while it’s in the freezer. Additionally, the containers are great if you need to transport your Rice Krispie treats directly from the freezer to some other place.
You can easily freeze Rice Krispie treats, making them last up to six weeks before they start to lose their flavor. Six weeks is significantly longer than the few days they last at room temperature. You can even eat frozen rice Krispie treats for up to six months, even though they will not taste as fresh as if you ate them sooner.
Also, you can wrap and store them in the freezer individually for an easy grab-and-go snack, or put them all in one container and take them out when you need them.