Yes! You can freeze and keep buffalo chicken dip for up to three months, whether you prepare it yourself or buy it pre-made. However, it might require additional care when reheating as the ingredients sometimes separate.
Buffalo chicken dip is a versatile sauce that can be used in various ways. Sour cream, beans, yogurt, soft melted cheese, buffalo sauce, and shredded chicken can create a wonderful dip.
Buffalo chicken dip is one of the most popular dips there is and is best served hot. You can bake up an easy buffalo chicken dip in as little as 25 minutes, and it doesn’t require much preparation.
It is easy to freeze buffalo chicken dip in a freezer bag or an airtight container once it has been made and cooled completely. It is also a simple process to prepare it ahead of time and freeze it to cook later.
When you’re ready to eat it, let the dip thaw in the fridge overnight, then simply reheat it and serve, or cook it according to the original recipe.
- 1 How To Freeze Cooked & UnCooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 How To Thaw Frozen Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 3 How Long Can You Leave Out Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- 4 What Can You Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
- 5 Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Ideas
- 6 How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Can You Freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip – Final Thoughts
How To Freeze Cooked & UnCooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
There are two ways to freeze Buffalo chicken dip depending on whether it is cooked or uncooked. Both ways to freeze buffalo chicken dip are explained below.
Freezing UnCooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Here’s how to freeze uncooked dip:
- First, get your ingredients ready and carefully mix them. Don’t heat or cook them just yet. Instead, mix them well.
- Place dip in a freezer-safe container. Using a container that can be placed into an oven when it’s time to bake is recommended.
- Put a label on the container to keep track of the expiration date.
- Freeze for as long as 3 months.
You can also divide the dip into smaller portions and store them in smaller containers. It will prevent having to constantly open and close the container, thereby increasing its longevity.
Freezing Cooked Buffalo Chicken Dip
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip once it has been cooked? Yes, if you follow these simple steps.
- Before freezing, let the dip cool completely to room temperature.
- Next, get an airtight, freezer-safe container to store your buffalo chicken dip.
- Be sure to label the container so you can keep track of the expiration date.
- You can freeze cooked buffalo chicken dip for as long as 3 months.
How To Thaw Frozen Buffalo Chicken Dip
Frozen buffalo chicken dip can be as easy to thaw as putting it in the fridge overnight. Both cooked and uncooked buffalo dip will thaw overnight and be ready to cook or reheat the following day. This is the best way as a slow thaw will allow the ingredients to maintain their taste and consistency.
However, if you’re in more of a hurry, a microwave is a convenient way to complete this process of defrosting frozen buffalo chicken dip quickly. Just make sure to use the defrost setting so that the dip thaws evenly.
Finally, if you’re without a microwave, place the frozen buffalo chicken dip in the oven at very low heat to thaw it before cooking or fully reheating.
How Long Can You Leave Out Buffalo Chicken Dip?
You should always note the time your buffalo chicken dip stays at ambient temperature when serving it to guests. More than two hours at room temperature will put the dip in the “danger zone” and is generally considered a bad idea for many food items, especially those with cream cheese.
The “danger zone” is generally defined as temperatures that are between 40°F and 140°F. Food kept at these temperatures for extended times will encourage bacterial growth.
What Can You Serve with Buffalo Chicken Dip?
Buffalo chicken dip can be served with a variety of finger foods, including:
- Chips – A classic is tortilla chips
- Vegetables – Serve buffalo chicken dip next to baby carrots, celery, sliced peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, etc
- Bread – Serve with baguette slices or slider buns
Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe Ideas
The great thing about this dip is that you can prepare it in advance and store it in the fridge or freezer for when it’s needed. Although there are many variations in recipes, the following is a list of some ingredients you might find in a traditional buffalo chicken dip:
- Your preferred brand of buffalo wing sauce
- Cooked shredded chicken breast (or canned chicken)
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese or Mozzarella cheese
- Sour cream
- Green onions
- Ranch dressing
- Cayenne pepper
- Blue cheese crumbles
Don’t forget that not all recipes will include everything listed above and that there are many variations.
These are only typical ingredients found in buffalo chicken dip recipes to demonstrate the impact of freezing on them. Because everyone’s tastes differ, feel free to play with the recipe.
Use less hot sauce in your preferred recipe if you prefer your buffalo chicken dip less spicy. You can also make buffalo chicken dip with or without blue cheese crumbles and as much or as little cayenne pepper as you like.
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
The delicious recipe takes just 30 minutes to make! Below are the short steps to making it:
- Combine the ingredients in a medium bowl, including the cream cheese, buffalo wing sauce, and ranch dressing.
- Stir the mixture until it is mostly blended.
- Add the chicken, cheddar cheese, pepper, and salt, and mix until well combined.
- Give it a good stir until all of the ingredients are fully mixed.
- Choose a suitable baking dish, pour it, and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until slightly warm, and the creamy cheese is like melted butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are answers to a few regularly asked questions about Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Does Freezing Affect the Taste of Buffalo Chicken Dip?
While the taste, flavor, and consistency of buffalo chicken dip are unaffected by refrigeration, it’s a different story when it comes to freezing buffalo chicken dip due to the fat content in some of the ingredients.
The texture and taste of buffalo chicken dip are likely to change somewhat after freezing. In addition, some of the ingredients (mostly those containing fat) may separate and need to be remixed once thawed.
How Do I Know If Buffalo Chicken Dip Is Bad?
Buffalo chicken dip lasts for a long time if properly stored, but it can spoil, making it critical to understand how to identify a bad buffalo chicken dip.
You can often tell if a buffalo dip has gone bad by the way it looks or smells. If anything seems off, it’s better to throw it out than to serve it.
If the dip looks and smells okay, give it a small taste test. If the buffalo dip tastes off or sour, it is a sign it is bad. At this point, there is no saving it. Buffalo chicken dips that have gone bad should be discarded.
Is Buffalo Chicken Dip Spicy?
Buffalo chicken dip is typically somewhat spicy. You’re also using buffalo sauce, known for its sour heat and flavor.
When combined with other ingredients, especially an extra quarter cup of sour cream, buffalo chicken dip is neither overly hot nor spicy. Of course, the ingredients can be altered to increase or decrease the spiciness further.
Can You Freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip – Final Thoughts
Buffalo chicken dip is a popular American party snack that’s easy to make and can be frozen either before or after it’s cooked When freezing buffalo chicken dip, ensure that you note the date on the container and make sure to consume it within 3 months.