So, you love Krispy Kreme donuts (who doesn’t?) and have plenty of these delicious donuts left from the big box you got—and you’re wondering what to do with them. You’re considering freezing them, but can you freeze Krispy Kreme donuts now for you to eat later?
Yes, you can easily freeze Krispy Kreme donuts by storing them in an airtight container or ziplock bag before freezing. A frozen Krispy Kreme donut should last up to 3 months in the freezer if properly protected. However, Krispy Kreme recommends that you enjoy their donuts fresh for the best taste.
In this article, I’ll explore some of the tips and tricks for freezing Krispy Kreme donuts for the best quality. I’ll also discuss how long you can store your donuts in the freezer and how to thaw them. Let’s go!
How To Freeze Krispy Kreme Donuts
Krispy Kreme donuts are a delightful pastry, and if you’re looking for a way to preserve your donuts so that you can have some later, you’ve come to the right place!
You’ll need the following to freeze your Krispy Kreme donuts:
- Cookie sheet (You can get it from Amazon.com. It should fit into your freezer.)
- Plastic spatula
- Wax paper
- Freezer-grade ziplock bags
Now that you have the necessary equipment for this project, let’s get started:
- Line the cookie sheet with wax paper. The wax paper will help prevent the Krispy Kreme donuts from sticking to the metal sheet and breaking apart when you scrape them off.
- Place the donuts on a cookie sheet. Be sure to arrange your donuts evenly so that they don’t touch.
- Put the Krispy Kreme donuts in the freezer. Carefully store the cookie sheet in your freezer, where the donuts can sit undisturbed for about 5 hours until completely frozen. This is known as “flash freezing.”
- Retrieve the cookie sheet from the freezer. Carefully remove the tray from the freezer and grab your spatula for the next step.
- Remove the donuts from the cookie sheet. Carefully use a spatula to collect the Krispy Kreme donuts from the baking sheet.
- Place frozen donuts into an airtight container. Store the now frozen Krispy Kreme donuts in a freezer-grade ziplock bag or an airtight container that’ll hold up well in the freezer.
- Label and date the container. Dating your storage vessel will help you to remember how much time your donuts have left before you should throw them out.
- Place the container in the freezer. Simply place the donuts in the freezer and enjoy whenever you like!
When freezing Krispy Kreme donuts, you must do it quickly so that the frosting doesn’t have time to melt or the donut dough becomes soggy or dry.
That’s why flash freezing your donuts is a great way to ensure that your donuts freeze at the best quality and will taste great when thawed.
How Long Can Krispy Kreme Donuts Last in the Freezer?
Now that you understand the relatively simple process for freezing your leftover Krispy Kreme donuts, you might be wondering how long your newly frozen donuts will last.
Just how long can a Krispy Kreme donut last in the freezer?
Krispy Kreme donuts can last up to 3 months in the freezer. However, it should be noted that upon thawing your donuts, you should consume them immediately as freezing does not extend the donuts best by date.
Pastries such as donuts don’t last long and should be eaten quickly. Freezing your donuts is a great way to pause the expiration clock on your Krispy Kreme pastries and will leave you able to enjoy tasty donuts for months to come.
How Do You Eat Frozen Krispy Kreme Donuts? (3 Ways to Thaw)
Now that you have some frozen Krispy Kremes, you’ll need to know how to thaw your tasty treats. So how exactly does one enjoy a frozen donut?
You can eat your frozen Krispy Kreme donuts by thawing them at room temperature on a counter overnight, in the oven, or in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds before consuming.
Let’s take a more in-depth look at the top 3 thawing methods for your Krispy Kreme donuts.
The Microwave Is the Fastest Way To Thaw Frozen Krispy Kreme Donuts
The microwave is probably the fastest method for thawing your sugary treats and is pretty simple to do.
The steps for thawing your Krispy Kreme donuts in the microwave:
- Wrap your donut in a damp paper towel.
- Place in the microwave for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Check that your pastry is warm throughout.
It’s important to note that you may need to increase or decrease the time your pastry cooks, depending on your microwave settings. For example, it’s better to start with 10 seconds and then add more if the donut isn’t thawed completely.
The Oven Method Warms Frozen Krispy Kreme Donuts and Keeps Them Fluffy
The oven method can take a little longer to thaw your Krispy Kreme donuts but does a great job of leaving them fluffy and warm.
The steps for thawing your donuts in the oven:
- Set your oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Place your donuts on a baking tray wrapped in tin foil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and enjoy!
When using the oven method, remember not to leave your donuts in the oven for too long otherwise, you risk your icing melting or the donuts drying out.
The Counter Method Is the Slowest Way To Thaw Frozen Krispy Kreme Donuts
Leaving your frozen Krispy Kreme donuts on the counter to thaw overnight is probably the easiest method for thawing your pasty, especially since it’s so hands-off.
The steps for thawing your donuts on the counter:
- Set the wrapped frozen donut out on the counter at room temperature.
- Wait for 8 to 12 hours.
The main drawback to this method is that you must preemptively decide you’ll want a donut 8 to 12 hours from now. But so long as you are a pre-planner, this method will work just fine for you!
The overall process for thawing Krispy Kreme donuts is simple, and ultimately you’ll have to choose which method works best for you.
Using the microwave is quick and easy; the oven can take a long time to warm the center of your pastry, and the counter method you’ll have to know ahead of time when you would like to enjoy a Krispy Kreme.
It’s important to note that frozen donuts won’t have the same great taste that fresh donuts do. However, that doesn’t mean your Krispy Kreme donuts won’t be enjoyable; they’ll just have a slightly altered flavor and texture.
Krispy Kreme donuts always make a tasty treat, so why not take some home to save for later?
Freezing your favorite Krispy Kreme donuts is a relatively easy process. You just need to properly flash freeze and store them in an airtight container, then leave them in the freezer. Then it’s a simple matter of thawing the number of donuts you want when you’re ready to eat or serve them.
Plus, being able to freeze Krispy Kremes is a great way to take advantage of sales and always have something sweet on hand should your sweet tooth get a sudden craving.